Saturday, April 5, 2008

Letter to Charlie Crist No. 3 (April 5)

04-05-08


Dear Governor Crist,

As a concerned citizen living in the great state of Florida, I feel that it is my duty to bring to your attention a matter of public safety. This past Friday, I was hired to paint a small studio from top to bottom using rollers and small touch-up brushes. Being so eager and excited to begin work, I didn’t stretch prior to the painting and did not stay properly hydrated during the workday. I believe the most strenuous work was coating the high ceilings (with a roller extension) that overexerted my biceps and triceps.
Several hours after finishing for the evening, I returned home and noticed a sharp pain throughout my forearms, back and shoulders. Ignoring the pain, I guzzled several Miller High Lifes and passed out on the couch. When my girlfriend arrived home, she woke me up and got me into bed. After sleeping in bed for close to an hour, I was brought back to consciousness by a searing pain and low grade fever that I could not assuage with traditional methods (ice packs, heat, rubs, Excedrin, etc). This terrific ache could only be controlled with several hours’ worth of ice packs, icy hot, Ibuprofen, and extensive stretching exercises.
Needless to say, these unfortunate events were more than preventable. I believe that it is necessary to mandate some kind of permanent signage to be placed in homes across the state to ensure Florida citizens are made aware of proper painting procedure. The signs should read: “Painting your home without first stretching or being properly hydrated may be hazardous to your health. Be sure to stretch the biceps and triceps, neck, lower back, and calves. If you are unsure of proper stretching technique, consult a physician or personal trainer. To ensure a pleasant next day, please continue to hydrate yourself while working and stretch after painting is finished. Thank You.” While I am not yet 100% sure of the best means to produce and distribute these signs to the public, I would be delighted to organize a team to resolve these issues. Thank you for your time, Governor Crist.

Sincerely,



Michael Reynolds

No comments: