Friday, May 2, 2008

Crist no. 11

05.02.08


Dear Governor Crist,

As our democratically elected leader, I feel that you are not only the final say in political affairs, but in cultural ones as well. When a citizen of the United States encounters an issue within the arts and humanities, they should be able to call upon their respective governors to resolve it. I have reached an impasse in my own artistic practices, Governor Crist, one in which I need you to act as a referee of sorts. Enclosed is a rendering of a fire extinguisher that I completed on my home computer. The image was drawn and colored by hand using a drawing program and tablet. The creation of said image was rather tedious, with several hours invested in it’s creation. However, the image is outputted rather simply (via inkjet printer) and can be reproduced an infinite number of times. Also, the subject matter at hand is markedly disconnected from its author (I have no special connection to the aforementioned fire annihilator). So my question is as follows: what constitutes a work of art? Is it the method by which an artwork is constructed, its relation to the author, the author’s intentions, the public’s reception of the artwork, or none of the above? Thank you for your speedy response, Governor Crist, I trust your wisdom will guide me through this theoretical fog.

In Friendship and in Service,



Michael Reynolds

Enclosed:

No comments: